Tawaf – Meaning and Conditions of Tawaf – Rules of Tawaf
Before we understand the rules of Tawaf, we need to understand the Tawaf Meaning. Tawaf is a compulsory part of Hajj and Umrah. After Ihram and Niyat, the first step of Hajj or Umrah is to walk around the Kaabah seven times. Each round starts from Hajr e Aswad– the Black Stone. You will find special markings on the floor around the Kaabah for guidance. Pilgrims must move in an anti-clockwise direction. The first three rounds are completed at a relatively fast pace and the last four are done at a leisurely pace. It is believed that Tawaf Dua- supplication during the completion of Tawaf has a specially exalted place with the Almighty Allah.
TAWAF MEANING BY TYPES:
- Tawaf al Umrah: This Tawaf is completed as part of Umrah. This is the necessary ritual for the completion of Umrah. When you book your Umrah Packages, your travel agent is most likely to provide you with the details and order of Umrah rituals.
- Tawaf ul Qudoom: this is more like a welcome tawaf. Whenever a person arrives at Makkah for Hajj, Umrah, travel or business, he should perform Tawaf ul Qudoom. This has been mentioned in Sahi Bukhari
- Tawaf al Ziyarah: this is a compulsory tawaf in hajj. It can be performed anytime between mornings of 10th of Dhul Hijjah to 12th Dhul Hijjah. Skipping Tawaf al Ziyarah or Tawaf ul Rukn/ Tawaf ul Hajj/ Tawaf al Ifadah (as it is alternatively known) will render hajj as invalid.
- Tawaf al Wada: This is also known as tawaf e Sadr. This is a wajib ritual of hajj and Umrah. It is like a farewell Tawaf performed whenever pilgrims are leaving Makkah. Find details of Tawaf al Wada at the Islamhelpline website.
- Tawaf al Nafl: this is just a recommended form of worship. You can just offer tawaf anytime just like you offer voluntary Salah for Allah’s blessings.
- Tawaf al Nazr: this is offered when you have pledged that upon fulfillment of your desire you will perform Tawaf. Some scholars do not find this practice acceptable.
- Tawaf al Tahiyah: This Tawaf is done whenever you enter Masjid e Haram. It is voluntary.
These are the main types of tawaf. Please note that you may find additional terminologies for the various types of Tawaf in different parts of the world. The important thing is that you know the Tawaf meaning and whether it is compulsory in hajj or umrah or if it is a voluntary act of worship.
CONDITIONS OF TAWAF:
Now that you know the Tawaf meaning, let’s move on to the conditions of tawaf. There are certain prerequisites of Tawaf; whether this is a tawaf in Umrah, tawaf in hajj or any other type of Tawaf. These conditions are different from than rules of tawaf i.e. how the tawaf should be performed. The Conditions are:
- Being Muslim: scholarly consensus is that Tawaf will be accepted as a form of worship only when it is performed by a Muslim. Tawaf Dua or prayers done during the tawaf will be blessed for Muslims. This means that for a non-Muslim, tawaf carries no rewards.
- Sanity: scholars differ in their views on this. Hanafis and Hanbalis stipulate this as a necessary condition. The Shafi’s and Malaki’s think otherwise. The reason that whenever a minor perform tawaf in hajj or umrah, the intention done by their guardian is valid for minor also. By analogy, if an insane person is accompanied by a guardian, his tawaf is acceptable.
- Intention: we have another unanimous consensus on this issue. An express intention for performing tawaf should be declared.
- Covering of Body: Tawaf should be completed in the prescribed dress code. Tawaf in hajj or Umrah requires Ihram. Otherwise, any dress will suffice as long as it sufficiently covers the regulations of Satar for Men and Women. Satar is the minimum part of the body that should be covered by men and women in public.
- Purification of Body and Clothes: Muslim men and women should perform Tawaf with a clean body and clothes. They should always perform ablution or the wudhu Menstruating women cannot perform tawaf.
RULES OF TAWAF:
We know the tawaf meaning, types, and conditions. Now let’s see the rules of tawaf. We have briefly touched them in our introduction. You will be given information on all of these when you book hajj packages or umrah packages by your travel agent. So if your travel agent does not provide this information, please do ask them where you can get it. For more clearance, the rules of tawaf are:
- Tawaf should begin from the Black Stone
- You should move counter-clockwise for Tawaf.
- You must complete seven rounds around Kaabah to complete one Tawaf.
- All rounds must be done consecutively
- Tawaf should encompass all of the Kaabah.
- It should be done within the boundaries of Masjid al-Haram. If you do it outside the Masjid, So you would have done rounds around the Masjid and not the Kaabah.
- Those who are able to do it should do it on foot. Wheel Chair facility should be taken after ensuring that you could not have done the Tawaf on foot.
Tawaf Meaning, Conditions and the Rules- Conclusion:
All the information above on Tawaf Meaning, conditions and rules have been collected by staff at Noorani Travels. It by no means intends to replace a scholarly opinion. You must verify with a religious authority within the school of thought that you follow. May Allah accept your Umrah, Hajj, Tawaf Dua and all acts of worship that you perform in the Holy Land. If you want to book Hajj and Umrah Packages, call us on 02088 193 505 or visit. You can request information at firstname.lastname@example.org.